Todd pointed me to this topic, because it's a z/VSE related question, not z/OS.
From my point of view Tony and Todd explained everything correctly.
Just one additional info:
There is an optional feature "Encryption Facility for z/VSE" that allows
encrypting
data at rest (Librarian members, VSAM files, backup tapes, real tapes and
vtapes).
It's functionality and usage is described in the z/VSE Administration Guide:
https://www.ibm.com/systems/z/os/zvse/documentation/#vse
It uses CPACF and crypto cards transparently. CPACF is used for encrypting the
data. A crypto card is needed only when using public-key encryption (refer to
the book)
with an RSA key greater than 1024 bits. The other option is "password-based"
encryption, where the symmetric key gets derived from a password/passphrase.