On Thu, 15 Jun 2017 18:18:47 -0300, Clark Morris wrote:

>[Default] On 14 Jun 2017 14:57:21 -0700, (Frank Swarbrick) wrote:
>
>>I won't try to justify EBCDIC, but big-endian rules!  :-)
>>
>Unfortunately, little-endian which comes from the same warped thinking
>that went into the COND JCL statement seems to be ubiquitous.
>Little-endian is illogical and a royal pain in so many ways.  The
>developers of it should be ashamed of themselves.

There's a lot of epistemology here.  People firmly believe the scheme they
learned earliest is Natural Law, whether little-endian vs big-endian or
EBCDIC vs. ASCII.

In both cases there were in the day minor hardware economies to flouting
established convention: programmed arithmetic could be done low-to-high
and existing punched cards could be translated to EBCDIC with fewer gates
than to ASCII.

JCL COND isn't "warped thinking"; merely tunnel vision.  An assembler
programmer thinking of branching around a block of code if the CC mask
matches thought likewise of bypassing a job step if COND matches.

-- gil