On Tue, 27 Jun 2017 08:47:47 -0500, Wendell Lovewell wrote:

>(I had to revert to Firefox release 51 and switched to "Never check for
>updates" because they dropped NPAPI support and a some of the web sites I need
>stopped working.  I still find myself being forced to use Edge or Chrome now
>and then.)

It's the opioids of the Internet.  Things users find attractive, oblivious to
their dangers.

This has been attributed, in part, to Windows' expansion from an
environment of secure office LANs where users were mutually
trustworthy and valued the facility of opening arbitrary attachments
with a single click, or with no click, to the perilous wilderness of the
Internet.

And suppliers consider the potential user base of those prudent enough
to avoid the risks expendable; outweighed by the potential of those
who prefer to live dangerously.

-- gil