Hi Jim,

I have been digging into replacing IEFUSI by SMFLIMxx and have a few questions:

- How broad has REGIONX been implemented? It is available in JCL and IEFUSI and
SMFLIMxx can set both values, but I don't see them in SMF, SMF30RGN still has
one value, and IEFUSI WORD5/SUBWORD2 also has only one value. I had supposed
REGIONX would have been implanted in these places too.

- What is the relation between IEFUSI's Region Limits and SMFLIMxx's SYSRESV
values. It looks as if they are each other's complement.
Suppose my system has a userregion of 9M. if I set IEFUSI's Region below to 6M
and Regionlimit below to 7M, this leaves 2M for the system region.
If I set SMFLIMxx's Regionbelow to 6M and SYSRESVBELOW to 1M, does this result
in a Regionlimit of 2M?
So with IEFUSI, the Systemarea is what is left from setting Regionsize and
Regionlimit, with SMFLIM the Regionlimit is what is left after setting
Regionsize and Systemarea. Correct? This is not directly clear from the
documentation.
Besides that, the IEFUSI documentation explains the difference between
Regionsize and Regionlimits and their value for variable getmains. SMFLIMxx's
doc does not and one could easily decide to set values resulting in a zero
Regionlimit. Getmainproblems will then be difficult to analyze.

- In IEFUSI I can query the requested Regionsize and act on it. If the step
requests less than 7M, I give it 7M. If it requests more, I allow it what it
request. In SMFLIMxx the requested Regionsize should therefore be available as
filter together with LE/GE/EQ/NE operators.

- As mentioned before, setting data/hyperspace limits setting is also desired
if SMFLIM is to be a replacement if IEFUSI.

- Besides all this, we use IEFUSI to reset the Serviceclass of certain
jobsteps, but this is a private specialty.

Sometimes we see surveys in this list if someone is planning to change
something or develop something new and is interested what functions would be
whished. If SMFLIM's intention is to replace IEFUSI, a survey of current IEFUSI
functions might have helped.

Thanks,
Kees.

e-mail, and delete this message.