On Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 11:32 PM, Timothy Sipples <sipp...@sg.ibm.com>
wrote:

> John McKown wrote:
> >​There are _NO_ connections to z/OS even from internal boxes. When files
> >need to be transferred, they are written from z/OS to the appropriate,
> >internal, FTP server.
>
> So there are no connections, but there are connections. With bulk transfers
> of personal healthcare data with no granular security context preserved, I
> assume. As Mr. Spock used to say, "Fascinating."
>
> The modern (and not so modern) reality is that "internal" networks are
> being penetrated all the time, and "internal" servers (and other devices)
> are getting pwned all the time. "Maginot Line" approaches no longer work,
> if they ever did.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maginot_Line
>
> Defense in depth is really, really important. This isn't the time for
> complacency, I'm afraid.
>
> Yes, I'm aware that there are some individuals in management who, on
> occasion, act like Frank Drebin:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdFl__NlOpA
>
> It's still important to explain the risks and document them.

​Yes. And hopefully the ones whose job this is are doing that. I'm a z/OS
sysprog who has been "impressed" (in the British nautical sense) with doing
some RACF work. But I don't make policy. I just try to enforce it.​ I'm not
in any kind of position to even speak to those "in the know".

--
Veni, Vidi, VISA: I came, I saw, I did a little shopping.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown