On 2017-08-04 13:41, Charles Mills wrote:
OK, I get it. (Way too much time spent on this now.) The sum is also to be
printed if there are any zero values in a[whatever].

Is this a real business problem or an exercise in whatever?

The original code actually fills a set of buckets with values (or nothing), I just simplified the code to a loop over an array, changing the values in the array to do some testing, after first figuring out what was going on.

I don't know the PL/I compiler but on a modern processor Store on Condition
potentially makes

if a(i) >= 0 then switch = 1;

It's more than likely that Enterprise PL/I V5.2 can already generate code that utilizes new features of the z14 systems.

Robert
--
Robert AH Prins
robert.ah.prins(a)gmail.com