Peter certainly has no reason I can see to apologize for his post (and certainly not to me!). Here's what was actually announced:

"For several decades, z/OS has offered two spooling subsystems: JES2 (formerly HASP) and JES3 (formerly ASP). JES2 is used by the majority of z/OS customers and has evolved into nearly a superset of functionality over JES3. IBM is affirming that JES2 is the strategic Job Entry Subsystem for z/OS. New function in spooling subsystems will be primarily developed only for JES2. JES2 supports unique features in the area of availability such as spool migration, online merging of spool volumes, and in the area of function such as support for email notification when a job completes and soon in the area of security with encryption of spool data.

"JES3 continues to be supported and maintained with its current function."

This is pretty far from "dropping JES3," at least for the foreseeable future, from where I sit. We have any number of components for which we never or rarely provide new function. This is not exactly a State Secret. A quick glance through the table starting on p. 2 of z/OS V2.2 Planning for Installation (PDF p. 16) shows the last update for each z/OS element. Some say "OS/390 V1R1" only because that's when we created the book, and are actually older than that, such as EREP and MICR/OCR.

My prediction, worth what you paid for it, is that JES3 will stick around for a while.

Peter Relson wrote:
It is very disturbing to see someone use an inflammatory representation
such as the initial subject of this thread when that is very much *not*
what the SOD said.

Maybe in practice stabilization will result in some JES3 users choosing to
move (perhaps because they need new function that would become available
only in JES2), but IBM is not dropping JES3, nor did the statement of
direction say or imply anything about doing so. That's like saying just
because we might have stabilized some system service that you must stop
using it. That too would be a faulty conclusion.

Regardless, input such as what Cheryl W refers to is important.

(John Eells would probably have stated the above in a cleaner way;
apologies to him.)

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design

--