From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On
Behalf Of Dyck, Lionel B. (TRA)
Sent: Wednesday, August 30, 2017 9:24 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: IBM to stabilize JES3 (was: IBM to finally drop
JES3)

Clark - an active project to get off JES3 - that is easier said than done.
There is no cost justification for doing so, there is no ROI, there is no
significant benefit to such a project. All a site will encounter is
significant costs to (a) retrain sysprogs, operators, all JECL users, (b)
convert from using JES3 DJC to the not quite the same JES2 DJC networks, (c)
loss of data set awareness allowing jobs to enter execution only to wait for
data sets held exclusive (disp new/old) or trying to access data sets
exclusive, (d) loss of functionality from locally developed DSPs, (e)
conversion of all JES3 user exits with probable loss of functionality, (f)
updating all automation tools to use JES2 commands (assuming there are
equivalent commands), (g) the lost opportunity to use the resources spent on
the migration for other projects that help the company be more competitive,
more productive, save money, be more agile, improve operations, support
their users/customers, etc.

Just my $0.01

This e-mail reflects only my opinion and not those of my employer or those
I'm contracting with.

Lionel B. Dyck
Mainframe Systems Programmer - TRA