I apologize if my presentation on the JES2 support for the //*NET statement led
you to believe that existing DJC NETs will get JCL errors when run in JES2.
There are keywords that JES2 ignores, but they do not generate errors (they
generate warning message in the JCL output but warning message in JES2 do not
stop the job from successfully converting and running).

For the records, JES2 supports the keywords that make sense in a JES2
environment (NETID, NHOLD, RELEASE, NETREL, NORMAL, ABNORMAL, ABCMP, NRCMP,
OPHOLD).  The other keywords that don't make sense in a JES2 environment
(DEVPOOL, DEVRELSE, RELSCHCT) are ignored (minimal syntax validation is done)
but do NOT generate JCL errors.

JES2 support is complete for the supported keywords and was made to work like
the JES3 support.  In general, the implementation of JES3 JECL was based on
what JES3 does (not what the books say) in an effort to be as compatible as we
could.  However, JES2's parsing of JECL is done using a generalized parser that
may be stricter than what is used by JES3 (JES3 may detect JECL syntax errors
that JES3 allows).  Also, the character set for things like NETID may be
different between JES3 and JES2 because JES2 uses the NETID as the name of a
JOBGROUP (it must be a valid job name).  For example, JES3 supports NETID=Z*+X
but JES2 would JCL error because of the * and the +.

I hope this clarifies what we support.

Tom Wasik
JES Development