There was a great deal of debate over DST during the petro crisis of the early
1970s. Proposal then was to make DST the year-round standard for further energy
saving--if DST really saves energy at all. One debating point was the specter
of millions of children waiting for school buses in the pitch dark. There were
in fact a few highly publicized incidents of kids getting hit by the road side
at oh-dark-thirty. Permanent DST proposal died, although the start and end
dates were (much) later shifted to elongate the DST period.

Another motivation for DST, I was told as a kid, was to encourage working
stiffs to cultivate vegetable gardens. DST was a war measure after all, and
food was a critical resource. What impact DST ever had on the dinner table is
moot, but on paper at least it gave the old man an extra hour to hoe his tomato
patch before dark.

.
.
J.O.Skip Robinson