On 8/09/2017 5:02 AM, Gord Tomlin wrote:

Charging for the privilege of reporting bugs, and obtaining fixes for the bugs, puts the incentives for the charging vendor in the wrong place. It reduces the net cost to the vendor of handling defects, and transfers part of the financial impact of bugs from the vendor to the customers. It could be viewed as reducing the vendor's incentive to develop relatively bug-free software.

As a vendor, I greatly appreciate customers who take the time to report bugs. It helps improve the software and helps me do my job. I suspect that most of the developers at IBM feel the same way.

However, there are parts of IBM that view problem reports as a nuisance. They work very hard to close them before the developers see them. I suspect IBM developers don't realize how much time and effort it takes a customer to get a problem report past these gatekeepers before they see it.

--
Andrew Rowley
Black Hill Software