>> In my opinion PDSE design wasn't and still isn't ready for prime time.
>> It couldn't and still can't handle SYS1.NUCLEUS and SYS1.LPALIB because it
depends on a started task.

>Kind of an arbitrary standard, isn't it? I could argue VSAM or DB2 are not
>ready for prime time because you can't use them for SYS1.NUCLEUS residence.

I don't think these are comparable things. The LPA is built as part of the IPL
process, but only load modules not programs objects can be loaded into PLA at
that time because program objects live in PDS/Es. You can load program objects
into dynamic LPA after IPL has completed, but this code is loaded elsewhere
(CSA not LPA).

Does this really matter, I hesitate to say yes. But, you can argue that the LPA
is part of the "MVS kernel", and as such it might be desirable to be able to
load program objects in the IPL phase already. Again, no strong feelings on the
necessity on my side. However I always felt such basic things should move into
the "kernel" one day or the other.

--
Peter Hunkeler