I understand. Building of the SAD was a just another step in the sysres build process. Easy enough and harmless to set and forget it. It was always done, always up to date and I didn't have to worry about it.

Mark Jacobs

Edward Gould <mailto:edgould1...@comcast.net>
September 28, 2017 at 7:47 PM

Mark,
I guess I am different and trust IBM more than you do.
If there isn’t a ++HOLD for recreation of the SA dump, then I don’t do so.
The only exception is if I am bringing up a new system, then its always done. By new system, I mean a complete system received from IBM. I have never run into an instance where doing a lot of maintenance there isn’t a ++HOLD for a new SADUMP.

The worst number of years of maintenance was 5 (don’t ask).

Its been 25+ years since I have gotten a complete system build from IBM, so my memory might be faulty.

Essentially anytime I have to do a system load From IBM, I have always done one as stuff like that will bite you in your a** if you don’t.

A few years ago I was doing some work as a true contractor and I was amazed that the people who were to maintain the system after I left did not do a SADUMP redo. I told the manager as I was leaving that he should get some experienced MVS people as the ones he had were not all that competent. He looked at me like I was trying to stay and I repeated to him that he needed to hire a experienced person that knew what they were doing. He said something like my people are experienced. I looked at him and said then you need to hire better people to make sure their manager doesn’t get bitten. Sure enough, I found out that they did not do a rebuild and it messed up the dump. I created a phony yahoo ID and emailed him and told him one last time that he needed to hire someone competent. I found out he finally hired a good person.

Ed

Please be alert for any emails that may ask you for login information or directs you to login via a link. If you believe this message is a phish or aren't sure whether this message is trustworthy, please send the original message as an attachment to 'phish...@timeinc.com'.

Mark Jacobs - Listserv <mailto:mark.jac...@custserv.com>
September 28, 2017 at 12:56 PM
<snip>

Mr. Murphy taught me a very long time ago that I should always ensure I have
a working SADUMP that matches the OS level requiring it.

<snip>

Agree. That's why I always rebuilt it after every zOS maintenance cycle, cause' ya never know.

Mark Jacobs

Mark Zelden <mailto:m...@mzelden.com>
September 28, 2017 at 12:27 PM
I didn't respond to the "last time you took an SAD". It has been probably 1.5 years at least since a prod / dev LPAR crashed and took an SAD via AUTOIPL,
but it does happen every few years it seems.

The other 2 times were more recent and involved sandbox LPARs. One was just
a week ago when someone had removed a data set from LPA involving
CICS VR because the sandbox LPAR did not run CICS. The LPAR hadn't been
IPLed in over a month and the person who removed it didn't think that was the reason for the wait state at IPL time. I was able to look at the SADUMP and
figure it out. IBM supplies SYS1.SDWWDLPA with a dummy CICSVR module that
NIP looks for at IPL time and I had to add that back into LPA.

Mr. Murphy taught me a very long time ago that I should always ensure I have
a working SADUMP that matches the OS level requiring it.

Regards,

Mark
ITIL v3 Foundation Certified
mailto:m...@mzelden.com
Mark's MVS Utilities: http://www.mzelden.com/mvsutil.html <http://www.mzelden.com/mvsutil.html> Systems Programming expert at http://search390.techtarget.com/ateExperts/ <http://search390.techtarget.com/ateExperts/>

On Thu, 28 Sep 2017 11:16:47 -0500, Mark Zelden <m...@mzelden.com> wrote:

>I always put SADUMP for each OS release on the 2nd volume of my maintenance
>sysres for each OS release (still using 3390-9s). I create an HMC
>profile on each CPC for SADUMP at that time. If I was using a mod-27 or anything >large enough where I didn't have a multi-volume sysres set, I would just put it on
>the dlib volume instead (this is what I did years ago).
>
>Part of my migration / cut over plan for after a "GO" decision when migrating
>releases is to update the HMC SADUMP profile for that LPAR and to verify
>AUTOIPL SADMP has been updated in DIAGxx to point to that proper
>volume as well (this is staged already in a "migration parmlib" concatenated ahead >of the normal parmlib concatenation. So at any given time during OS upgrade
>migration, some LPARs are pointing to one level of SADUMP and other LPARs
>pointing to another level. It always matches the SADUMP for the OS version.
>
>Regards,
>
>Mark
>--
>Mark Zelden - Zelden Consulting Services - z/OS, OS/390 and MVS
>ITIL v3 Foundation Certified
>mailto:m...@mzelden.com
>Mark's MVS Utilities: http://www.mzelden.com/mvsutil.html <http://www.mzelden.com/mvsutil.html> >Systems Programming expert at http://search390.techtarget.com/ateExperts/ <http://search390.techtarget.com/ateExperts/>

>On Wed, 27 Sep 2017 22:11:33 +0000, Jesse 1 Robinson <jesse1.robin...@sce.com> wrote:
>
>Invitation for early Friday war stories.
>
>When implementing (OS-moniker-du-jour) 1.6, we had several catastrophic failures that required back out to previous level. We took some SADs during that stormy period.
>
>When implementing z/OS 1.13, we had several instances of running clean out of real storage! System hit a wait state, took SAD automatically, then re-IPLed itself. That was entertaining.
>
>We more recently (under 2.1) took SAD and re-IPLed a hung system that would probably have recovered if we had held off a bit longer. Heck, Game of Thrones was on. How long were we supposed to wait? ;-)
>
>.
>.
>J.O.Skip Robinson
>Southern California Edison Company
>Electric Dragon Team Paddler
>SHARE MVS Program Co-Manager
>323-715-0595 Mobile
>626-543-6132 Office ⇐=== NEW
>robin...@sce.com

Time Customer Service
Global Technology Services

The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.
Lt. Gen. David Morrison