>From an IBM red book, the one which describes Walmart’s adventures with
CICS in a cloud.

>From the section which describes the activities of the CICS and z/OS
systems programmers:

“The traditional role of systems programmers over time became focused on
system
administration functions. But, to extend the capabilities of CICS, the
old-school, multi-role
technician must reemerge and embrace the latest technologies”

Well some of us never actually went away.

But wait, there’s more. It gets worse. Further on in the same article
there’s talk of:

“Selecting HLASM and COBOL as service development languages.”

Programming, Jim? *Assembler* language programming? I don’t think we need
any of *that* here.

What I would like to know is where were all the managers while all this
programming was going on. Does Walmart have the most enlightened managers
in the mainframe world or did they just not have a clue what was going on.
I suspect the latter, it’s unlikely Walmart’s managers are any different
from anyone else’s.

A very interesting red book with lots of detailed information although I
kept seeing the word 'service'. Not a word one would normally associate
with Walmart.