Pretty much any program can use z/OS Unix services.   Strictly speaking I
don't think that there is an "inside" and an "outside", just "use".
So,  just EXEC PGM=XXXXX  and when the program makes its first Unix kernel
call it will be "dubbed" and get a Unix process id.   That's about as much
as there is to establishing a program as a Unix process on z/OS.

The tricky part comes why you try to redirect stdin/stdout/stderr from
processes to z/OS data sets, while providing for full dataset support.
That's where BPXBATCH sucks.  In z/OS 1.7 BPXBATCH fixed stdout and stderr
redirection, but stdin is still broken.     It isn't that hard if you know
how to use pipe() and select().

Kirk Wolf
Dovetailed Technologies
http://dovetail.com