On 19/10/2017 9:10 PM, John McKown wrote:
On Thu, Oct 19, 2017 at 4:47 AM, David Crayford <dcrayf...@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks Kirk!

Using your _BPX_SHAREAS=MUST tip with __spawnp2() I was able to knock up
something similar to COZBATCH. While not anyway near as comprehensive it
does allow us to ship a batch job utility that can install a web server
from a PDS pax member using a script inspired by your Tomcat installation
comments. It was surprisingly easy using pipes and select() as you
suggested. It's mind boggling why the IBM utilities are so poor.

​If you're talking about BPXBATCH in the "so poor" comment, I'd guess that
it was determined to be needed "late in the game". So something was written
quickly to get some basic functionality going. It then became enshrined in
the temple of backward compatibility. ​And now, as is often asked, what do
we want IBM to stop doing in order to "fix" BPXBATCH to "run reasonably"?
IMO, what IBM needs to do is license COZBATCH from Dovetailed Technologies
and distribute it with z/OS. There is precedent for this because JZOS
(Java) was original a Dovetailed Technologies product.

Why don't IBM just provide a BPXSHELL program that does the right thing? It's a piece of cake to implement and AOPBATCH already does it, which is an IBM product. I use COZBATCH but we can't ship it to customers so that's why I wrote my own. I can't talk for Kirk and Steve but I don't think they want to sell their Co:Z toolkit to IBM when they have plenty of customers paying for support.