On 25/10/2017 3:35 PM, Timothy Sipples wrote:
David Crayford wrote:
NetRexx can't be used in TSO/ISPF environments which is why it's not
popular on z/OS.
The other commenters have raised some good points. I'd like to raise this
question: especially in 2017 and beyond, is it a grave problem if your end
users don't use TSO/E and ISPF user interfaces to enjoy applications
written in NetRexx? That they use, as notable examples, a Web or mobile
user interface instead?

It has nothing to do with writing user interfaces, it's about writing scripts. Most z/OS sysprogs do that in the TSO/ISPF environment.

Maybe back in 1987 this omission was a "Dead on Arrival" showstopper, but
now? OK, if it is a showstopper for you, Walt provided some good ideas to
pursue for any/every programming language and runtime that requires such
integration. (Reports welcome!) But is it a genuine showstopper, or are you
the showstopper? :-)

I'm not the showstopper, I'm a realist. If you had a better grasp of the technical details your comments would have more credibility.

To add to Walt's point (a bit, and roughly), I'm pretty sure it's possible
and not hard for REXX (TSO/E, ISPF) to call Java and thus NetRexx. So you
should be able to create a hybrid application rather easily and
straightforwardly, with a REXX user interface calling NetRexx program
logic, both components of course written in the REXX programming language.
You can also work such magic very easily in CICS Transaction Server, and
even keep your NetRexx logic in a separate region ("AOR") from your REXX
classic user interface ("TOR"). Somewhere I read in an application
programming book that logically separating presentation logic from business
logic is a good idea. :-) You can take the same basic approach in IMS TM.

I can't think of a good reason to call bpxwunix() to invoke a Java program when I can do everything I want natively.

How does WebSphere Application Server for z/OS and its ISPF panels work?
(It works.)

Did you mean z/OSMF? The ISPF interface in z/OSMF is a white elephant while users still have 3270 emulators. In fact, z/OSMF is not that great. I want to love it but when I hang in unresponsive JavaScript dojo code it's hard to love it! Give me green screen SDSF any day of the week.

Unless I'm missing some other point?

As usual!

Timothy Sipples
IT Architect Executive, Industry Solutions, IBM z Systems, AP/GCG/MEA
E-Mail: sipp...@sg.ibm.com