From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Wayne Bickerdike
Sent: Thursday, November 2, 2017 4:30 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Db2! was: NODE.js for z/OS

IMS DB/DC was MVS. The DC part was never available on DOS/VS or VSE, the
interface was CICS on the VSE platform. So DL/I was the data management layer
and the APIs / Call interface were almost identical on both VSE and MVS.

As a PL/1 jockey in the 1970's at IBM we coded mainly batch IMS (Call PLITODLI).

A few years later I was coding IMS DB and BMPs. A few years later I was in a
full on IMS DB/DC shop.

IBM recycled the log manager of IMS into DB2 and MQ seems to have very similar
topology.

Why DB2 has so many address spaces is probably because of the IMS heritage.
Other (simpler but equally effective DBMS) manage on a single address
space....I wish...

On Thu, Nov 2, 2017 at 6:20 PM, Timothy Sipples <sipp...@sg.ibm.com> wrote:

> Walt Farrell wrote:
> >The z is still lowercase in z/OS, though :)
>
> Also lowercase in z/VM, z/VSE, and z/TPF. For now, at least. The
> future is not fully predictable. :-)

> Timothy Sipples
> IT Architect Executive, Industry Solutions, IBM Z and LinuxONE,
> AP/GCG/MEA
> E-Mail: sipp...@sg.ibm.com

Wayne V. Bickerdike