On Tue, 7 Nov 2017 21:00:41 +0000, Farley, Peter x23353 wrote:

>As Gil has pointed out several times, you cannot *legally* use a Unix
>directory in a STEPLIB  DD or concatenation (well, anyway it is not documented
>that you can).  And in fact although this may occasionally work with an empty
>PDS(E) as the first catenand, ...

I believe I was whining about SYSEXEC, not STEPLIB.  I've never tried the
latter.

> my experience of trying this with the JZOS loader executables is that it
> generates an S922 abend (fatal error in initiator, SVC dump taken).

And Binder very explicitly prohibits catenation of UNIX directories
in SYSLIB; they must be singletons.  The Ref. pretty much states
that Binder performs no search of a UNIX SYSLIB, rather it extracts
the SYSLIB path (SVC 99?) and appends the member name.  (The
Ref. neglects to mention an intervening '/'.)

Three grists for the RFE mill:
o UNIX directories in SYSEXEC.
o UNIX directories in STEPLIB.  (How about //PDSE in PATH!?)
o Concatenated UNIX directories in Binder SYSLIB.

-- gil