Steff Gladstone wrote:

>In our installation we would like to implement certain checks and document
>certain run-time characteristics at the beginning and during program
>initialization and duration (chiefly Cobol programs).

What checks?

>We would like to implement this in a manner transparent to the application,
>without requiring the programmer to add lines of JCL or calls to subroutines
>(we have thousands of legacy programs and jobs and don't want to have to go
>through a massive conversion project).

Forget about it. No, sorry, I not being funny with you, but really, those
'change / documentation / check management' and similar software are mostly
failed to doom and gloom. Rather start with that project when you __start__ a
mainframe system or a data centre, not when you have gazillion old and new
programs, JCLs and systems.

I was tasked around 1989-199? to implement Librarian and to invent something
for documentation of program changes and what they're doing at all. It was a
PITA which we dropped as soon we can...

>We are looking at initialization routines like CEEBINT.   Can anyone recommend
>any other system exits that could be candidates for this sort of thing.

Ok, I said I am not funny with you. One solution is, what submitter are you
using? If using automation software, then your project is nearly done. just
modify your automation software for all these jobs and their programs. These
software have audit logs, if enabled of course.

Those automation software have 'condition codes' which can be used to audit and
log jobs/steps completion. So you could setup your job with RC=0/4/16 and the
condition codes can be setup as 'Good/Bad/Ugly' after completion.

Or use RACF and SMF to monitor the loadlibs and program as well data used. Lots
of hard work and overhead, but can be done.

I believe there are other methods... but CEEBINIT? Not all programs are
compiled using LE. What will you do if some COBOL programs call an Assembler
program which disregards LE?

>Any potential pitfalls we should be aware of?

Hmmm, some pitfalls - you will only see the first program [in EXEC PGM=<???>],
if you want monitor subsequent called programs, you're in trouble, unless you
can put something in to monitor them too. No, I don't know if that solution is
possible or useful.

Perhaps you should clarify what you need and give some examples as requested by
others. I am pretty sure there is a solution for your task.

Good luck and all of the very best for you and your team.

Groete / Greetings
Elardus Engelbrecht