On Thu, 14 Dec 2017 13:40:14 +0800, David Crayford wrote:

>Swing by Rockets ported talks and download and install gmake. Nobody
>uses the z/OS make including IBM developers.

It would have been a boon if Unix System services had been ASCII-based rather
than
EBCDIC, and relied on GNU tools.

>On 14/12/2017 9:58 AM, Frank Swarbrick wrote:
>> I wrote my first "makefile" today.  Took me some time to understand the
>> requirement for tab characters.  Having only the ISPF editor (oedit), tab
>> characters are not very friendly on 3270 screens.

There ought to be an RFE here.  Tab could be handled cleverly on a 3270 screen.

But ISPF is perhaps not the best editor for makefiles or many other UNIXy tools.

EBCDIC tab is x'05'.

>> GNUMake has an special variable called ".RECIPEPREFIX" that allows
>> replacement of the tab character with another character.  This does not
>> appear to be an option on z/OS.  Does z/OS by chance have anything similar,
>> perhaps with a different name?

-- gil