I use z/OS make!  Out of lack of experience, I guess, but it seems to
do its job OK.  We ran into some issues when one developer was
accidentally using gnu make.  It produced a bunch of mysterious
errors, and took us a while to figure out.  So, makefiles don't seem
to be compatible between them (generalizing from my one example).

I usually edit in ISPF.  For the tabs, I use something rare, like ~ or
@@, then before saving, do a change all to x'05'.  And the inverse
when editing, if needed.  Much of the time, you can edit around the
tabs just fine.  But I really dislike invisible characters, and it
seems like a silly way to do things.

sas

On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 1:17 AM, Paul Gilmartin
<0000000433f07816-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu> wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Dec 2017 13:40:14 +0800, David Crayford wrote:
>
>>Swing by Rockets ported talks and download and install gmake. Nobody
>>uses the z/OS make including IBM developers.
>>
> It would have been a boon if Unix System services had been ASCII-based rather
> than
> EBCDIC, and relied on GNU tools.
>
>>On 14/12/2017 9:58 AM, Frank Swarbrick wrote:
>>> I wrote my first "makefile" today.  Took me some time to understand the
>>> requirement for tab characters.  Having only the ISPF editor (oedit), tab
>>> characters are not very friendly on 3270 screens.
>>>
> There ought to be an RFE here.  Tab could be handled cleverly on a 3270
> screen.
>
> But ISPF is perhaps not the best editor for makefiles or many other UNIXy
> tools.
>
> EBCDIC tab is x'05'.
>
>>> GNUMake has an special variable called ".RECIPEPREFIX" that allows
>>> replacement of the tab character with another character.  This does not
>>> appear to be an option on z/OS.  Does z/OS by chance have anything similar,
>>> perhaps with a different name?
>
> -- gil

sas