On 12/18/17 20:44, Paul Gilmartin wrote:
On Mon, 18 Dec 2017 19:47:26 -0500, Rick Troth wrote:
Anyway, it's not difficult to have your makefiles fix themselves,
converting leading 8 blanks to a tab automagically. Some of the
makefiles in and around CMS Make do exactly that: if they land on (for
example) Linux, they get run through 'sed' to convert leading 8 blanks
to a single tab.
Doesn't this break a macro definition or a dependency rule that happens to
start with 8 blanks?

I did say limited scope.
So I suppose it /could/, but IMLX I've never seen a macro nor rule that starts with 8 blanks.

There must have been some reason Feldman chose <Tab> instead of &lwsp. But the story I recall fondly is that after creating 'make' and turning it loose and then getting a good night's sleep, he fretted, "why did I give it such a stupid requirement?". (heavily paraphrased; "stupid" wording mine)

-- gil

-- R; <><