From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@listserv.ua.edu> on behalf of
Paul Gilmartin <0000000433f07816-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, January 2, 2018 2:32 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@listserv.ua.edu
Subject: Re: SMP/E ++HFS Attributes

On Tue, 2 Jan 2018 09:14:11 -0500, Kurt Quackenbush wrote:

>>      ST_FILEFMT
>> And:
>>      ST_CCSID
>>
>> Is it possible to specify the rest of these for a ++HFS element?
>
>Nope.  If you want to set or preserve these file attributes using
>SMP/E's existing capabilities I think you'd have to specify BINARY and
>tell SMP/E to invoke a shell script that will set the appropriate file
>attributes.

There's some trepidation here about post-processing.  It compromises
the SMP/E audit trail.

>Is this purely an academic exercise, or would builtin SMP/E support for
>these attributes be truly interesting?

Some of each.  ISPF Edit/Browse now has support for multiple file and
terminal CCSIDs and formats.  SMP/E lags.  If I needed to support those,
I might find the easiest approach to package a tarball and unpack it in
post-processinng.  Of course, that's the technique most familiar to
developers with a UNIX background.

There's a rift in this community.  Some advocate fine-grained
issue-oriented service with greatest isolation from collateral damage
from repairs to defects not experienced.  Others prefer level-set service
with greatest protection from generating a configuration the supplier has
never tested.

++PROGRAM is a de-facto level-set for the entire program object.
Unpacking a tarball is a level-set for an entire directory structure.

Some are dismayed that  Java service level-set-like, too coarse-grained.
And I wonder why occasional updates to the Java timezone database
require unusual administrative action rather than appearing in the PTF
stream.

Of course, all this is controlled by the product developers, not SMP/E.

But SMP/E is weak in the variety of languages in which it supports delivey
as source.

-- gil