I always kept a SERVICE copy of the filesystems that were IBM related and then
applied and that is what SMP/E pointed to.  Each shop usually has what works
best for them, but below are the two main ways that I have done it.

1)  Less Work, but Less Control (from SMP/E that is if someone bypasses SMP/E).

Have a single set of RESVOLs, DLIBVOLs and USS Filesystem libraries that SMP/E
points toward.  If you have a stand-along Tech LPAR or Sandbox, have the
ability to IPL from this only for validation, but I try to keep this just for
SMP/E only!

Share SYSRES and/or USS Filesystems where possible.  Makes life a lot easier
with maintenance.

Have two copies per LPAR(s), that can be alternated between during IPLs.  A lot
of maintenance can be applied live these days; however, there are still ones
that still required an IPL.

Perform a DFDSS copy of the required volumes and filesystems from the SMP/E
target to the LPAR(s) target.

For USS, all configuration files, etc. that are normally in /etc & /var are
never overwritten by IBM.  The sample configuration files are what are updated
and then you must apply those changes or merge your updates with the new
samples, if required or needed.  I also use a Company level filesystem, where
you can override the default path, as this makes upgrades even easier.  Most of
the items that you put in /etc & /var can be overridden by parameters passed
during execution or profile settings.

2)  More Work/More SMP/E Control

Have a Tech set of SMP/E SYSRES, DLIB and USS Filesystems.  Applied all initial
maintenance (RECEIVE, APPLY, ACCEPT) to this as normal processing

Have a separate SMP/E SYSRES, DLIB and USS Filesystems per shared (or single)
environment.  Once maintenance is validated within the Tech environment, you
can run SMP/E compares between the Tech and next environment to dynamically
create the required SMP/E input statement to APPLY and/or ACCEPT as needed.

For USS, same concept as the first method.

The trick is to simply the process as much as possible without loosing control.
 The smaller the support team, the less SMP/E management you can allow.  If you
have people that don't follow the rules or too large (multiple teams, etc.)
Allowing more control by SMP/E can save you a lot of headache with keeping
things in sync.

Thanks,

Craig