From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On
Behalf Of fred glenlake
Sent: Monday, February 26, 2018 11:11 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Hardware upgrade z13 to z14....Yikes

Hi List,

My management must be in line to cash in on performance bonuses because they
have decreed we will upgrade our z13's to z14's in 90 days.   This was a
total out of left field surprise, perhaps our hardware vendor had a sale on
for "Presidents Day", right next to the slacks and shirts and CEC's??

I am just starting to review the IBM considerations of going to z14's, lots
to consider and read which I do not mind.   Wondered if any list members had
already moved to z14's and could share any land mines they encountered
upgrading.

At the 10,000 foot level I am thinking to get this done quickly hardware
wise we drop the new CEC's next to the existing ones.   Hook them up to
power, HMC's, etc.  Then grab a couple of cables from existing CEC's for
DASD and Tape, swing them over.   Use the existing IOCP and IOCDS as the
basis of the new IOCP/IOCDS, update serial numbers, models, etc.  Then bring
up our sysprog lpar on the new CEC, get that one going, update and fix
software keys/licenses, issues with first IPL's on new CEC, etc.   Once all
the work is done in terms of getting ready for the rest of the lpars, then
go for the big bang one weekend.  Bring down the rest of the lpars, drop the
cables, swing over to new CEC, hook up and IPL remaining lpars.   Assuming
no phat thumb checks it should work.  Of course there are a ton of
considerations to review and check, coupling facility stuff, software stuff,
compatibility maintenance, etc.   However all things being equal I am
thinking this approach is likely the safest in terms of risk avoidance and
getting this done with the 90 days.   We could go the move one lpar at a
time route but that would mean more work and it would take longer especially
with our change management processes (bless their little hearts).

Any alternate suggestions or comments would be appreciated as I am sure
there will still be a few land mines with my name on them waiting in the
woods.

FredG.

to lists...@listserv.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN