I realize you may be doing a mass migration and am only pointing this out as a
base for ideas...

I created a REXX routine that could be invoked from a TSO DSLIST where the user
could simply type TT beside the dataset name and the routine would calculate
the next generation for that dataset and invoke the TLMS utility to perform the
tape to tape copy.  That way I stayed with the native tools and could copy any
tape, I believe even foreign tapes since TLMS was doing the copying.

This was helpful in doing single tapes when we were moving from 3490 to 3590
cartridges but would definitely need some tweaking to do something on a more
mass level.

Regards,
Gil.