You might get more feedback using the listserver ibmtc...@vm.marist.edu

        More Communication Server folks hang out there........

        For my 2 cent...I am going strictly by memory here.......

        I believe that more of the changes in Comm. Server (VTAM) between z/OS
1.4 and current were in the realm of APPN/EE/HPR. If you chose EE, you would be
doing all of the aforementioned in VTAM. It is likely that EE connections are
possible between the 1.4 system and current, however, there were some
enhancements along the way that are NOT compatible with "older" versions of
VTAM. HPRSESLIM is one that comes to mind. If the 1.4 VTAM does NOT support
HPRSESLM (I don't recall exactly when it was introduced), then if it is ENABLED
in the VTAMOPTS of the current system, it would prevent the connection from
being established.

        If you chose CTC (MPC) for the connections, you could use Subarea SNA
(CDRMs). Of course, it is NOT the IBM preferred choice, but it is stable and it
is definitely supported at the z/OS 1.4 level of VTAM. There will be some setup
and coordination involved. The amount will depend upon the number of systems
you have to connect to the CMC.

        Hth
        Tony