1. The people who object to keys do so because of the associated risk.

2.  'You can't over simplify the issue and decide categorically that all vendors
     that want to "protect" their software are bad. ' implies that somebody has
made
    such a claim; that's the straw dummy in question.

 3. The collateral damage is the inability to use the software that they are
paying for
    and the outage to everything dependent on that software.

 4. The issue is not the licensing terms; the issue is what happens to a
customer who
    has paid the fee.

 5. No, our difference is that I believe that the customer has no obligation to
play
    Russian Roulette.

 6. The issue isn't the rules, it's the danger inherent in the enforcement
method.

" If you can do it without losing your temper or being condescending"

PKB. Don't misrepresent my position if you want me to be polite.

"or if you want to be sarcastic "

PKB. If you don't want sarcastic responses, then don't make sarcastic posts.

"and/or virulent "

There's nothing wrong with refusing to buy a product that doesn't suit my
needs. You get to set whatever rules you want for the use of your software,
provided that you disclose them up front, but you don't get to tell the
customer what metrics to use in evaluating his requirements.

"because I still really do want to try to understand your points."

Then pay attention when I write that keys impose a risk on the customer, and
that the customer gets to decide how significant that risk is. Are you willing
to put an indemnification clause in your contracts?

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
http://mason.gmu.edu/~smetz3