From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@listserv.ua.edu> on behalf of
John McKown <john.archie.mck...@gmail.com>
Sent: Friday, March 16, 2018 2:57 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@listserv.ua.edu
Subject: Re: z/OS "interactive computing" - AKA TSO/ISPF or UNIX shell

On Fri, Mar 16, 2018 at 1:44 PM, Seymour J Metz <sme...@gmu.edu> wrote:

> The half-duplex use of the 3270 is an application, e.g., TMP,
> restriction:  the VTIOC macros support a full duplex mode.

​Ah. Thanks. I don't know anything about VTIOC. I'll need to take a look at
it. ... A quick look at
https://secure-web.cisco.com/1z5XRgkDDuTEpEPDkgUreYQARmHY_2BS2--IP-SmbN-Pe9bAvPnoboO5f7Kzs1qge6_2C7hWyXvZyMI8vh5trY9zvw83LiEi4GTR-a9tF2HKQLnDRcOJ25Bta5UNaARDIBi1hrcvWWYJrFnaBdw3y-DzrStWJOrK09JCv3X0HU-KkMXSEYnfWYE992Fh5tUpj0OwSHNBRrkBStFVi9K_S-i232vpEl-nOikN8g1vjdUf_N3RvUt5Di-HOGLWk0WYGEkuzy4tgmbWE_aqJK96xL9mHOnRLN2o0A8x5zJsseAEY7oeIu3dr0qPQ235YPMbqjwKZqBuE_dJW15fcwBNav2fTOHs-Rw4-KPR08ncjgb24A1Ms5BvzJC8724Use24-aDnnH1hrxiQJnS1w3ni6FKxt2qLRwihkQRSO62LHZjLflxYbPZpFabvss7wzPZ2e/https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ibm.com%2Fsupport%2Fknowledgecenter%2Fen%2FSSLTBW_2.1.0%2Fcom.ibm.zos.v2r1.istimp0%2Fappend.htm
shows that TSO still support non-3270 VTAM terminals. It might be
interesting to write a "3767" emulator (hum, that may just be telnet) to
have a UNIX session "logon" to a 3767 TSO session. Hum, I need to think
about this a bit. Not that I'm likely to actually do anything. My interest
in z/OS, and computing in general, is tending downward for various reasons.​