On Mon, 26 Mar 2018 17:29:51 -0500, Steve Horein wrote:
>Per
>https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSLTBW_2.2.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r2.ieab600/jclsymstr.htm
>:
>"The syntax rules for using symbols in in-stream data include those
>described previously for using symbols in JCL. One important difference is
>the handling of blanks in the input data. ...

Another important difference is that whan an ampersand is doubled in the
input data to suppress symbol substitution both ampersands appear in the
output data, not only one.  Does the doc make this clear?  RCF?

>... The resulting string never contracts and only expands
>if there are not enough blanks to remove to maintain data positioning.
>Refer to Defining and nullifying JCL symbols
><https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSLTBW_2.2.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r2.ieab600/jdefine.htm?view=kc>
>for additional information."
>
>So I'm reading that as "for best results, define your symbol name no longer
>than the expected symbol value."

Riiight!  This would be OK (at least better) if there weren't an onerous,
absurdly
small limit on the length of symbols.  RFE?

Or use RECFM=V SYSIN.

I hate JCL!

-- gil