> On Mar 27, 2018, at 5:52 AM, R.S. <r.skoru...@bremultibank.com.pl> wrote:
>
> Well, it was easy to predict: There are no more tapes!
>
> What media could you order?
> CST, ECCST (3480, 3490E) - not marketed for years, no native connectivity
> (ESCON)
> MAGSTAR - also out of market for years. And no compatible products from othe
> vendors. Connectivity is ESCON or FICON, but no direct connection is possible
> (16Gbps FICON can talk on 8Gbps or 4 Gbps).
> JAGUAR - the last drive natively attachable to z/OS is TS1140. Is it still
> marketed? Nowadays we have TS1150 and TS1155. TS1140 is 1,5 generation back.
>
> Last, but not least - other tape vendors do not produce anything compatible
> with media delivered by IBM. Actually I should say "vendor" not "vendorS",
> because only STK/Sun/Oracle produce real tapes for z/OS.
>

> BTW: When I read about "strict procedures" allowing tapes but not DVD,
> auditors checking foil sealings or threats  regarding migration to Windows...
> Is it IBM-MAIN or elementary school ?
I am not defending their position at all. I am also not saying it is right or
wrong. I am not allowed to talk about the company at all. I am pressing the
envelope on IBM-MAIN as it is.
Upper management has made the decision, rightly or wrongly, I have to live in
their world. That comes with NDA’s and other legal paperwork.
You can scold do whatever you want it doesn’t make a difference to me.

> Of course some shops do have strict rules, mostly it is stupidity not
> security, but they had to manage tape carts in the past. Now they have to
> establish process for DVDs (or other methods). BTW: How they get PTFs? AFAIK
> tape delivery for PTFs is not available for years - so they HAVE some process
> to put PTFs to z/OS or they do not apply any PTFs (???) or ...the story is
> simply unreal.
That issue is open and it is being discussed at high levels and honestly I
don’t know if they have been given both sides, all I know is that I was told to
stay out of the discussion.

> That remains me the discussion about HMC call home functionality when modem
> was dropped and replaced with VPN.
>
> Oh, I prefer tapes fo ServerPac installation. I will miss them. Now I'm going
> to prepare huge ZFS for ServerPac. Easy, I have a lot of time for that.
Radoslaw:
I am kind of curious as to if IBM has updated the basic I/O that is need to
bring up a system and how it will have to be changed to accommodate this IBM
commandment.
I, unlike you do NOT like SERVPAC installations, I was in it since day 5 and
hated it then and I hate it still today. I prefer either CBIPO or CBPDO. I have
done many servpac installations and they get harder each time (and longer). The
amount of DASD is outrageous and I expect to be turned down if it grows, I am
not sure what will happen when I get turned down. Maybe the windows guys will
have better luck than me.

Ed