From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@listserv.ua.edu> on behalf of
Edward Gould <edgould1...@comcast.net>
Sent: Monday, April 2, 2018 2:03 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@listserv.ua.edu
Subject: Re: Software Delivery on Tape to be Discontinued

> On Apr 1, 2018, at 1:22 AM, Timothy Sipples <sipp...@sg.ibm.com> wrote:
>
> Edward Gould wrote:
>> Would it even fit on a mod54?
>
> A Mod54 is about 54GB uncompressed, whereas a DVD disk can hold up to 9.4GB
> (dual layer DVD-RAM at least). I don't recall if the HMC supports dual
> layer DVD disks, but if not (worst case) then the maximum per disk would be
> 4.7GB uncompressed. Unless the particular Mod54 can be compressed quite a
> lot, it won't fit on a single DVD.
>
> A Mod9 would always fit on a dual layer disk and, at about 2:1 compression,
> on a single layer disk.
>
>> I am still puzzled on how you get this from the PC to the mainframe.
>
> This particular path (HMC DVD with FTP) has no intermediate PC or other
> system of any kind in the loop, for those who don't want that. This path
> I'm describing is straight from DVD media to z/OS storage.
>
>> Our computer room is very secure. I am not even allowed to touch
>> the HMC without a VP looking over my shoulder....
>
> Sure, pick your security (or "security" theatrical) poison. It's up to you
> and your organization. The request was for a way to receive z/OS products
> from IBM on physical media and to load them into z/OS, without an
> intermediate system such as a PC and without a network connection. It sure
> seems like that distribution path is already available, today. IBM can ship
> you DVDs, and you can load them via the HMC, to my knowledge. (Throughput?
> I don't know. Try it and let us know!)
>
> ....Or, I should say, via *any* HMC. You aren't limited to one HMC. For
> example, you can order two HMCs, put one inside your machine room, and put
> the other outside the machine room. Configure the latter with more limited
> authorized capabilities, and load your DVDs into that HMC. Mount the second
> HMC in a locked cabinet with dual keys if you wish -- whatever. Your
> "Mainframe Media Insertion Station" is then physically easier to access,
> without entering the machine room. All possible, as you prefer.
>
> I prefer/recommend electronic delivery with digitally signed software, but
> you've got choices.
>
> What am I still missing?

Timothy,
Thanks for the brief explanation, I am guessing that you run an smpe job on the
mainframe and somehow it asks the HMC if there is anything for him. Smpe
creates all the libraries like the csi and the dlibs and the system libraries
automagically and the spool and paging, catalog(s). I did not realize that smpe
was that powerful, I will have to reread the book tonight as I skimmed it and
didn’t see the magic it does. From your explanation it also does a receive and
apply of all the necessary libraries. The is one smart SMPE, next time I run
into Kurt Q. I will have to congratulate him !

Ed