> On Mar 30, 2018, at 6:01 AM, Timothy Sipples <sipp...@sg.ibm.com> wrote:
>
> I'm a little confused here. For those of you who would like:
>
> * physical media delivery
> * of z/OS products
> * installed without any intermediate systems
>
> I believe IBM has you covered, already. You simply order the DVDs, insert
> each DVD into the IBM Z machine's Hardware Management Console's DVD drive,
> and use the "Enable FTP Access to Mass Storage Media" task:
>
> https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/HW11P_2.13.1/com.ibm.hwmca.kc_hmc.doc/enable/stepsenableftpaccesstomassstoragemedia.html
>
> Then you move the contents of the DVD into your z/OS system using FTP
> across that very closed HMC network. (I'm quite sure z/OS supports FTP.)
> There's no intermediate PC or other system to worry about in the loop, the
> process is completely disconnected from any external or even internal
> networks (nothing beyond the IBM Z boundary), and you still have
> IBM-supplied physical media that you can track, log, audit, stare at,
> whatever -- read-only physical media that happens to be flatter, lighter,
> and easier to carry. You can place the HMC under armed guard, point a video
> surveillance camera at it, mount it in a caged rack, surround it with
> Mission Impossible-style laser and pressure sensors, or whatever, as you
> prefer.
>
> I prefer/recommend the digitally signed and network delivered path, but
> you've got choices.
>
> So what am I missing? Does that delivery path work?

Timothy:
I have heard about this method and I have read on here varying degrees of
success(or not). Has this method ever been done for CBPDO/CBIPO/ or you other
offerings?Would it even fit on a mod54?
I am open to it as long as it is extremely secure and doesn’t take 5 days (or
more). IMNO this might work for a PTF or two but several DVD’s worth??
I am still puzzled on how you get  this from the PC to the mainframe. Also,
while I am at it you would need enough disk specie on the PC to hold all this
data, I don’t think they make a big enough HD for the PC, do they?
Our computer room is very secure. I am not even allowed to touch the HMC
without a VP looking over my shoulder and asking everything I do, while he
dictates into a recorder, I am not sure how they would take me putting in and
out dvd’s that certainly will cause a ripple. While there is no video cam (at
least that I am aware of that points to the HMC) there are at least 20 camera’s
recording everything at or near a console, several in the tape vault
enter/exit/inside and one looking in at the elevator and a few others that I
don’t remember. If there are any on here that have done a offering through the
HMC I would love to hear your success/failures.

Ed