Elardus Engelbrecht wrote:

>It depends on the compiler of whatever language or underlying REXX
interpreter environment like TSO. Can that many tuplets be handled/passed on
to a function/subroutine?

Sure, and we hit the PL/I compiler limit of 384 arguments (there is a flavor
that has two "things", but is otherwise the same; trust me, it's clear, not
waiting for a disaster as in Charles' T/T/F/T/F/F example), so for PL/I,
that call has a lower limit.

>Why 100? Is it documented somewhere in some REXX bookies?

As I said, this isn't a Rexx API, but the point of 100 was to pick a human
number (not "666") that was way more than likely needed. We could have
picked 5, but that seems low; 10? 20? Hey, 100 oughta do it! (Like 640K, of
course.)

>Why not put all the parms in a file and then pass the file as an argument?
Yes, I certainly know about [ unneeded ] overhead, I/Os, extra CPU cycles,
memory, etc. of that alternative.

Not practical. This API is typically called millions of times in rapid
succession, and it's atomic and stateless; we aren't going to read a parm
file every time. This "list of things" API was, in fact, added to reduce the
call overhead compared to the "one at a time" API, as that overhead becomes
significant at that kind of scale.

And before someone says it, yes, if we do a Rexx version, I'd probably use
stemmed variables for the "list" version. OTOH, Rexx overhead is significant
enough that I'm not sure it would be used for large-scale operations, so it
might not even be worth the trouble-the "onesie" version would likely
suffice.