On Thu, 19 Apr 2018 10:21:20 +0800, David Crayford wrote:

>On 19/04/2018 5:19 AM, Cheryl Watson wrote:
>> The z13 and z14 can run Java faster than any other processor.
>
>Do you mean any other mainframe processor? My observations are that Java
>runs significantly faster on a x86 Linux system compared to our z13s
>running z/OS with a zIIP.

gcc?  Has anyone a data point for similar compilers on Linux for zseries and
Linux for x86?

Is the C compiler on z/OS zIIP-eligible?

>It's not just Java worksloads. I ran a large C++ compile that took over
>an hour on z/OS which ran under two minutes on x86/Linux. Our z13s
>rarely runs at over 50%.

I've seen similar results for GNU configure.  I attribute this to both compiler
and general process fork() overhead.

Are more address space creations nowadays due to UNIX fork() or batch
initiators?  (Of course this is site-dependent.)  I suspect AS creation is
still optimized for batch job steps ("BPXAS ON INTRDR").  This may be
suboptimal.

-- gil