John McKown wrote:
On Wed, Apr 25, 2018 at 9:18 AM, John Eells <ee...@us.ibm.com> wrote:

John McKown wrote:
<snip>

I would argue about his, except that most electronic manuals
are in PDF format and PDF does _not_ allow updating the PDF file itself to
contain highlighting & notes. Or, if it does, I don't have any software
which can do this.

Adobe Acrobat DC offers the ability to comment and highlight, using the
two icons that are rightmost (for me, anyway) on the task bar.  I use these
often when reviewing drafts of things, and I find them handy.

​Thanks, I'll look at that. <time passes>

Not bad. It costs some money, but I don't know if I'm willing to pay
$15/month for it. Also, unfortunately, it is Windows based and I'm a Linux
user at home. I do run Windows in a VM on Linux. But I'm not going to fire
up Windows just to read and annotate a PDF. And, in reality, I prefer
reading PDFs on my 10 inch Android tablet.​ But I may see if I can get it
here at work. So, for me at least, this is a NO GO.

Oops. I left an important word out of the name. It's Adobe Acrobat *Reader* DC. Sorry about that. Adobe says:

"About:

"Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software is the free global standard for reliably viewing, printing, and commenting on PDF documents."

It appears to be available for Windows, Mac, and Android: https://get.adobe.com/reader/otherversions/

--
John Eells
IBM Poughkeepsie