On Fri, 27 Apr 2018 12:40:52 +0800, David Crayford <dcrayf...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 27/04/2018 1:38 AM, Tom Marchant wrote:
>> On Thu, 26 Apr 2018 16:14:49 +0100, Styles, Andy (ITS zPlatform Services)
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Can't shutdown and IPL in 315 seconds.. (well, we can't).
>> No, but you can move the work to another LPAR in the Sysplex before
>> the IPL, minimizing the application down time.
>
>That can be done on Windows/Linux systems using virtualization
>technologies like VMWare and HyperV live migration. Coupled with
>fail-over clustering you can build
>reasonably robust systems. The monitoring infrastructure is excellent.
>Our distributed sysadmin was showing my HyperV and I was very impressed.
>It's not as good as
>a full parallel sysplex but good enough for a lot of companies WRT SLAs.

On the way home from Boston Share, I dropped in to VMWorld in Frisco.
One of the sessions was a live migration of an active representative workload
from mainland USA to India. In front of a live audience, with monitors running.
Bloody impressive. And this was Aug/Sept 2013. Even z/VM couldn't handle things
like that, let alone a 'plex.

Just ask google/facebook/amazon what can be done on non-proprietary commodity
hardware to keep systems up and running.

Shane ...