On Wed, 2 May 2018 15:27:25 -0500, Kirk Wolf wrote:

>> RECFM=VBS,LRECL=X would seem natural for processing UNIX files.
>>
>> Not sure exactly what you mean by "processing".   Do you mean as a format
>for making a copy of a Unix line-oriented file with a possibly very large
>line length?

Yes.  Or even non line-oriented.  Sometimes scientific data come that way.
Decades
ago I read of someone who had 200 BPI tapes with no gaps generated by a data
acquisition device.  (The digital logic to insert gaps would have been too
expensive
in that era.)  He dealt with it by reading it with a non-terminating channel
program
and writing to a higher density with gaps.

-- gil