On Wed, 2 May 2018 22:30:00 +0100, David W Noon wrote:
>> I don't recall whether Rexx reassembles spanned records or whether I
>> needed to override with RECFM(U) and process the streams myself.
>
>If you are using QSAM, the access method should do it. With RECFM=VBS
>you are required to use move mode processing and QSAM should do the
>buffer management, including reassembling each logical record as it move
>the data to you work area.

Suppose there is no guarantee that every logical record fit in available
virtual memory?

>AFAIAA, REXX EXECIO uses QSAM.
>
>I have processed VBS records using BSAM. It is a bit of a chore ensuring
>that the spanning indicator bits in the RDWs are set correctly.
>
>> I don't know which utilities are sensitive to which BFTEK values.
>
>I have not seen BFTEK do anything particularly useful.

Thinking further, it might make more sense to allocate a UNIX file as
FILEDATA=BINARY,
RECFM=VB, LRECL=1028 (arbitrarily).  SDB will choose a BLKSIZE and QSAM or BSAM
will
insert RDWs (every 1024 bytes) and BDWs.

 gil