Couldn't you do Address XYZ and then have commands that XYZ understands?

Lionel B. Dyck (Contractor)  <sdg><
Mainframe Systems Programmer – RavenTek Solution Partners

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Kirk Wolf
Sent: Friday, May 11, 2018 2:02 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: Heretic alert: I really detest TSO REXX (the language)

It would be nice to have a choice of scripting languages like on other
platforms.

Isn't a big obstacle on z/OS the fact that TSO doesn't have a generalized
interface for invoking a "command" in an arbitrary scripting language and
then providing it with a command processing (and/or ISPF) interface?

What if the TSO command interface that handles REXX/CLIST could recognize
shebangs to support other script processors, which would be local-spawned
in the TSO address space and be given a TSO Command processing environment?

Who knows, maybe get crazy and allow TSO command/script processing from
zFS.   With mixed case > 8 characters!

Kirk Wolf
Dovetailed Technologies
http://dovetail.com

On Fri, May 11, 2018 at 1:30 PM, David Crayford <dcrayf...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm at a loss as to why anybody would use OOREXX on platforms where there
> are a multitude of better languages to chose from. If it's because of
> familiarity coming from z/OS or z/VM then I would
> advise them to take the time to learn something new. Most modern scripting
> languages can be picked up in less then a day.
>

> On 12/05/2018 12:13 AM, Seymour J Metz wrote:
>
>> I/O? The ANSI stream I/O functions are in OOREXX, as are equivalent
>> methods.
>>

>> --
>> Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
>> http://mason.gmu.edu/~smetz3

>>> rHujXRMNNl7mvKl5Xve_kqaLCr4c3THMnMEdrV1yAhJRWqk6ztNUqrFGZvoi
>>> NQUVtP_xSkRVWaaTzYQQvCyTbvlkQUXPnknsR22cMBQJERLsge_SWbQFs39n
>>> poYpHo3efptLwktjYxH3NX8PAK9oDvUHPpLBqrimbXG8ywzzNV_DFiUG3gnt
>>> BT0E1P2p_TPl3grRW6PItAqncbeCMmsAOSgxehPiM6Jec5-t7r-EFbUooKlV
>>> kRd4jIoPs_SxfEXReTOJgloSU0-j82q4DY4B55eBqk1u4fT50E_97OkQxn5l
>>> RuHL36Xe3703XiFulTeLHG6xt1WgwuuybblSE2xcKi8oypvdR_E7UCmPexg4
>>> s8B8tstAk46elSl1OOCp4v7P4IKI2PwnsqKSsW93XDy3XJIQOALSAmaEO/