I would go so far as to assert that there was never a 'no-ACCEPT policy', only
an ad hoc practice advocated by what I always thought were outliers. Open any
IBM doc on SMP(/E) ever published and you will find the same canonical
procedure:

--RECEIVE
--APPLY
--ACCEPT (maybe hold off on this a while, but resolve to do it eventually)

Having never given no-ACCEPT serious consideration, I can't speak for its
motivation. I suspect that it was a combination of (misguided) RESTORE concerns
and a sense that ACCEPT represents wasted cycles--CPU and bioware. Some may
have believed that the whole DLIB environment entailed unnecessary DASD space.
When DASD became radically cheaper--and people became more expensive--no-ACCEPT
may have looked like a penny saved. I personally think that's false economy.
ACCEPT, besides stuffing a lot of data into distribution libraries, also
performs SMP/E cleanup. Until ACCEPT, RECEIVEd sysmods remain in the PTS, which
grows insidiously like the Blob over the life of each FMID. Likewise TLIBs,
which hold the verbatim content of all sysmods, are not deleted until ACCEPT
(if then--it's optional).

Having said all that, I suspect that there are still Never ACCEPTers out there
who are unlikely to change their ways. I'm guessing that OP Ed Jaffe is looking
at this issue from the perspective a software supplier. It's hard to imagine
that the owners of SMP/E will ever alter the recommended procedure.

.
.
J.O.Skip Robinson
Southern California Edison Company