On Thu, 14 Jun 2018 11:27:47 -0500, Mike Schwab <mike.a.sch...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Even if you have a z/OS 2.1 manual, some PTFs do add features or
>command or document changes to older versions, and they only update
>the newest manual.  Sometimes it is best to get the newer manual then
>check the document changes so you aren't referencing a feature only in
>the newest release.

OK, here's a constructive proposal: there should be a single HTML-based web
tree that contains the doc for the MOST CURRENT VERSION of z/OS. Each page
would then have a menu dropdown to allow you to select an earlier release. The
URLs for the current pages would be kept STABLE, so that links from other pages
won't go dead when future releases come out.

The web designers would use robots.txt or whatever to keep crawlers out of the
back level doc, so that only the most current doc is indexed. The when you
search for "IDCAMS REPRO", you get the hits to the LATEST doc, but can find the
back-level stuff easily enough.

I agree that the PDFs are valuable (I use them all the time), but it's ALSO
really handy to be able to embed a link to the EXACT SPOT n the documentation
that I am referring to, and that requires a URL to a page, not to a PTF.

-- Jerry