We recently got a corrupted PO data set after using the PDS command to add
directory blocks. During the FIXPDS operation we were prompted to move members
to make room for additional directory blocks. SOP. We have done this so often
for such a long time that we didn't hesitate. Afterwards, however, the PDS was
unusable. The only unusual thing about this PDS was that it was created (per
ISV JCL) with only 1 directory block.

I have a dim memory of learning ages ago that a PDS with 1 directory block is
somehow 'different', that certain updates to it require fiddling with the VTOC
in addition to changing data on a track. Sound familiar?

.
.
J.O.Skip Robinson
Southern California Edison Company