On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 11:03:05 -0400, Tony Thigpen wrote:

>Using pipelines could require a lot of programming changes.
>Historically, programs tend to be designed to process batches, not records.
>
>Most shops will not have the bodies to do the changes needed.

Many programs process data sequentially and are well suited to using pipes,
which merely bypass temporary files and require no other changes.

In ancient, main-storage-constrained environments pipes might actually
degrade performance: having multiple programs co-resident caused
paging I/O that overwhelmed any benefit of less temp file I/O.

SORT is (too) often given as an example of a pipe stage.  It can be
inappropriate because SORT is quasi-batch:  SORT can not write the
first record to SORTOUT until it reads the last record from SORTIN.

>I like the idea of REXX as a JCL replacement. It can provide a lot
>better logic. I don't know that it will make many inroads due to lack of
>man-power, but it can be a method to the future.
>
>One of our staff looked seriously at JOL and rejected it.

-- gil