From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@listserv.ua.edu> on behalf of
Hobart Spitz <orexx...@gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2018 1:30 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@listserv.ua.edu
Subject: Re: REXX as JCL replacement

Skip;

What you say is true.  Massive replacement would not be justified.  No one
is advocating such an effort.

What needs to happen is for people to stop writing new JCL (or copying old
JCL, especially the bad stuff) and work as if it were the 21st century.

In addition to not writing new JCL, there are some prime replacement
candidates to consider now:

   - PROCs are executed frequently.  The improvements, whether functional
   or performance, would be multiplied across all JOBs that EXECute those
   PROCs.
   -
   - PROCs that only use utilities and/or batch TSO, combining all into one
   step.
   - Replacing frequently executed IEFBR14s that sometimes create a dataset
   just to delete it, or that delete perfectly good dataset.  Are all those
   ENQs, RESERVEs, catalog searches and updates, and VTOC searches and updates
   really worth it just because DISP=MOD can't change DCB info?
   - JOBs with complex parameter or restart requirements.
   - JOBs that run frequently.
   - JOBs that need special serialization.  Invoke the program(s) in a REXX
   loop.  Serialization problems gone.
   - Applications that do updates primarily in DB2 and/or PDSEs.
   - Applications that need more generalized automation.  Drop the
   expensive third-party software.  You play by your rules, not someone else's.
   - Any process that has complex or hard to maintain JCL.

There are more.

Once you understand the benefits, to vendors and customers, the choice is
clear.

OREXXMan
JCL is the buggy whip of 21st century computing.  Stabilize it.
Put Pipelines in the z/OS base.  Would you rather process data one
character at a time (Unix/C style), or one record at a time?
IBM has been looking for an HLL for program products; REXX is that language.