Yes, runnning in programs batch is always more efficient than in TSO -
just as invoking assembler programs from REXX is more efficient than
invoking REXX from assembler (via "ISPLINK" is it?)

If JCL is 'strange', consider then native SMP/E. I never had a problem
with JCL or with native SMP/E (and I ignored all IBM's attempts at
enforcing SMP/E dialogs in the late 80s and 'custompak' etc. in the late
90s.)

What 'problem' with JCL is fixed by replacing it with REXX?

Chris Poncelet CEng MBCS CITP (retired sysprog consultant)