Mark Waterbury wrote:
>I am searching to see if anyone can find a copy of the IBM
>Query-By-Example product that ran under VM/370 circa the
>mid-1970s....

IBM Program Number 5796-PKT, Query-By-Example for VM/370 CMS, was/is(*) a
priced software product. According to this IBM price list from 1984:

http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/ibm/serviceForConsultants/Service_For_Consultants_198401/198401_04_Software_Prices.pdf

IBM charged $373/month for Query-By-Example, and I believe that was a flat
price per machine. After adjusting for inflation, that's equivalent to
about $907 in 2018 U.S. dollars. I don't know exactly when QBE came to
market -- I cannot conveniently search back quite that far -- but I'd guess
1977. Query-By-Example reached End of Service in 1985 (IBM Announcement
Letter 284-458) and End of Marketing in 1986 (IBM Announcement Letter
286-150). The last IBM supported VM release for this product was VM/SP
Release 3 (per 284-458). Yes, occasionally IBM flips the typical EoS/EoM
order, either intentionally or unintentionally.

IUP simply means "Installed User Program." In most cases, a customer
created the program (software), and it was actually installed and running
at a customer location. IBM then negotiated with the customer, paid some
sort of consideration, and acquired the rights to market the software to
other customers. In some cases, such as this one, the software was
installed and running at an IBM Research location and then came to market
as an IUP offering.

The bottom line is that this product is still a chargeable product and not
something you can legally copy, distribute, or run without a license. I
haven't found any IBM price announcement or other indication that its legal
status has changed. However, there's a lot of published material about
Query-By-Example in various conference proceedings, journals, and
elsewhere. It represents a rather important milestone in user interface and
database development.

It wouldn't hurt to contact IBM through an official channel to inquire
about obtaining a license. No promises, of course. Try to limit the scope
of your license request to something reasonable, I recommend.

(*) It's possible there's at least one customer paying the monthly charge
to maintain a license. I have no inside information on that point and
prefer not to know.

Timothy Sipples
IT Architect Executive, Industry Solutions, IBM Z & LinuxONE,
Multi-Geography
E-Mail: sipp...@sg.ibm.com