Over the past few years, COBOL and PL/I have added support for Product Registration Services, and can be disabled using IFAPRFxx entries. XL C/C++ is a feature of z/OS and can similarly be enabled or disabled with IFAPRDxx.

This does not cover everything, of course, but it's a start.

Barbara Nitz wrote:
So how do people protect the same dataset differently on various LPAR's, or is
it just not possible?
We had to make sure that the compilers do not run on a system that doesn't have
licence=z/OS. We used when(sysid) in class PROGRAM, for the names of the
compilers as the program name to be protected. The downside is that the data
set name must be specified (that the program is loaded from), and every data
set name must be mentioned in the rule in PROGRAM. So if anyone copies the full
compiler data set to their own HLQ and calls it from there, it would work on
*any* system in the sysplex. The upside is that most of those calling the
compiler would not have a clue how to do that. We have an additional safeguard:
The jobclass canned compile jobs run in only exists on one system.

How IBM expects a customer to make sure the compilers are only called on a
licence=z/OS system is beyond me - RACF certainly doesn't have the appropriate
instrumentation for it that I can see.
<snip>

--
John Eells