Sean Gleann wrote:

>Very recently, I too went down the path of developing a REXX to figure out
>yesterday's date, and my solution pretty much matches ones that have been
>proposed in that mail-trail.

>However, I wanted to go further. Having created a working REXX, I want to then
>automatically run it on a daily basis to set suitably-named system symbols
>with new values each day,

>I've tracked down details regarding the IEASYMU2 program, but no matter hat I
>do, the result is always RC288 (or '120'x). As far as I can see, this is
>caused by some sort of RACF restriction, but there's no diagnostic info
>appearing in the console log, so I don't know what to do to correct the
>situation.

Please post your job and parameters used.

Also post the FULL messages(s) you received. If you can, can you extract the
RACF SMF records for those failures?

As documented: "All updates by IEASYMU2 are controlled by RACF facility class
entity IEASYMUP.symbolname".

Check that profile and ensure you did a proper SETROPTS REFRESH.

Look at for descriptions and warnings/notes about IEASYMU2:

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSLTBW_2.1.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r1.ieae200/ChangingSystemSymbols.htm

>Has anyone successfully used this program & would be prepared to share their
>experience, please?

Not me for that program, we rather use automation (mostly) to get previous date
(day, month, year) as well today (system day) and scheduling date/time/period.

Of course, as posted a while back, I have a REXX program to write days as
accepted by IFASMFDP program.

Alternatively, just use REXX and place your dates in a datasets to be read by
other jobs.

Groete / Greetings
Elardus Engelbrecht